Friday 16 October 2009

Fight On!

This magazine has been around for a year or so - it's all about "Old School" role-playing like Original D&D, Ardiun Grimoire and, of course, Empire of the Petal Throne. And it's pretty hard to get more Old School than EPT!

Anyway, I'd been umming and awwing about it for a while but I finally took the plunge and ordered all the back issues - not the PDFs*, but the print copies. This was last Saturday - the 10th - and they arrived via FedEx yesterday. (That is pretty good service if you ask me.)

I haven't had a chance to do more than flip through them all and read the odd bit here and there, but I am impressed. There is a good chunk about Tekumel - all non-canon, of course, but it all looks pretty fine. There is a bit about the Pygmy Folk and another about Ahoggya - this latter looks like it might be really useful.

The production values are HIGH and the art is pretty good throughout. And they are big - averaging 100 pages or so it seems. It's going to take me a while to catch up on everything all six issues have to offer - and number 7 is due out soon.

EDIT: I see from the Fight On! forums that no. 7 is to be a Tekumel-themed issue, dedicated to Professor Barker! Yay!

EDIT #2: Correction - I guess that it is to be Halloween-themed, but also a bumper Tekumel issue, with the dedication to Professor Barker! (Still Yay!)

You can find Fight On! here.

* I find PDFs a bit of a red herring. I always lose them and when I print them out the quality isn't near as good as if I'd sprung for the printed version. Plus a print cartridge can set you back a few bucks these days! Trying a professional print shop is an option, but I find just ordering the printed version works better for me.

1 comment:

  1. I have all of the issues of Fight On! also, and I got all of the pdfs too. When you've had a chance for a closer look I think you'll find that the page margins are too small and that the issues that are perfect bound are hard to read because of the small margins. You can forget about copying anything from those issues as you'd have to break the back of the issue to get it to lay flat on a scanner or copier. While all of the issues have been great I wish they'd stick with the saddle-stitch binding. I am looking forward to the EPT issue!

    ReplyDelete