Sunday 24 June 2012

Popcorn?



Look what I picked up in North Bay last weekend! It's either popcorn or Ahoggyá rock candy, I don't know which! ;-)

There is one bag with 286 armoured  Ahoggyá and a second bag with 274 unarmoured beasties. So a few extras over the 25 sets of each but that is good. I may need to get some more arms, is all...

Got to talk about Jeff about stuff - galleys and war canoes, Tinalíya and Swamp Folk, all of which are "in the works". I also asked about painting the resin. Jeff gave me some pointers:

1) Wash all parts in warm soapy water. Dish washing soap...

2) No Acrylic Primer - or for "best results" don't use it. You can prime with acrylic over top of the enamel, but that's just priming twice...

3) Use enamel or automotive primer or similar such as Krylon “Fusion.”

4) This is a high density sculpture casting resin. It is not porous enough for acrylics to adhere properly. Enamel or auto primer actually goes into the resin so that it adhere

This applies to our Thúnru’u and Biridlú that were previously released.

I figured that the resin would need to be properly washed but I didn't know that Jeff recommended a particular sort of primer. I hope this oversight hasn't caused any of you to come to grief while painting the models!

1 comment:

  1. Duplicolor Sandable Primer. A wonderful automotive primer that comes in 5 colors to suit your needs. (black, white, light grey, dark grey, and a nice red oxide color)

    It says that it is gap filling, but I don't know what kind of gaps they are hoping to fill. This stuff actually sort of shrinks as it dries. This is one of my favorite things about Duplicolor. You can spray your primer a bit heavy, and you won't loose details. I have pretty much flooded small details on models before, and you'd never be able to tell within about 5 minutes. You're also good to start painting in about 15-20 minutes.

    I love this stuff. Pick it up at Advance Auto.

    ReplyDelete